Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sweet and Sour of My Brunei Trip 2: The Hardships

Good afternoon, my friends! Hidayuki here.


My second post about Brunei is about the hardships I faced while in Brunei. It's not that a serious one, I guess. One of the difficulties I faced is money... I didn't have any Brunei currency. (lol) (≧ ∇ ≦) And the other one is language. Bruneian speaks Malay language, just like Malaysians are. But the dialect is a bit different from Malaysians. Not to mention their informal way of talking (which I think combines a little with native Bruneian dialect) really took me seconds before I could understand what they were saying.  (​ ╹​^​╹​)


It's a good thing my grandmother was there. So we (my cousins and me) don't really need to talk much. And thanks to that, I have learned a few words that they used in everyday language! (●´∀`●)


1. sira` = salt (garam)
2. audeh (or aude - not sure) = you (anda)
3. damit = small (kecil)
4. ani = this (ini)


that's all that I can list down. . . there is one phrase that I know. My grandmother (from Brunei) mention this, "Kenapa lai?" which I think means "What's wrong?" or something like that. But I'm sorry, I'm not sure what does 'lai' means. (^_^")


Oh! One more... when we took the bus on our way back to Malaysia, I saw the destinations of Brunei - B.S.B. (゚-゚;) I was wondering, What does B.S.B. means? But later, I found out that B.S.B. stands for Bandar Seri Begawan. ( ^∇^ ) 




Well, I only managed to learn a little about Brunei language. Although it's so little, but it's better than not knowing anything ne? ヾ( ⌒ー⌒ )ノ 








ℒℴvℯ,
©hidayuki©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet Box